The Rest of O-Week in Australia

I can’t exactly remember all of the others things we have been doing, which is why I decided that I definitely needed to get started on all this writing that I had wanted to do. I will try to break it down day by day, but I don’t know how much I’ll come up with.

Tuesday January 8th: We went on a campus tour that morning and got a bit of a better feel about where we were. Unfortunately it wasn’t anything like the High Point tours and we didn’t actually learn that much about anything. We also went to a study abroad meeting, which didn’t talk about anything extremely important either. It was just details about how to make an Australian resume and how to file for a tax number and stuff. There was an official class welcome which we went to as well, but that was kind of awkward because it was meant for the freshman. Besides study abroad, they were the only people on campus at that time all week. We got these 2013 class pins, (I guess they consider their class as the year they entered?) but I like it because 2013 is the year I came. I tried my first piece of sushi…not a huge fan and then we took off pretty early. We walked into town and where there is this cute little café called the Hub where we spent a good part of the afternoon. Just to clarify some things. 1) We: this refers to the people from High Point University that came to Bond with me. About 14 of us came, but our group consists of about 9 girls and our one guy friend Dane. 2) Town: there is this adorable little town right next to our school called Varsity Lakes. It is just a small local town around this lake, which has a bunch of little shops and that we frequently visit, when we want to get out. Okay back to Tuesday. That evening the event was a hypnotist that came to campus. If you have seen one before, it is the same basic thing. A guy brings like 20 people to stage and hypnotizes them and makes them do stupid things. Except this guy was unlike any hypnotist in the states…he was extremely sexual and the show was rather inappropriate! I think half the time our group had our jaws dropped and we just kept looking at each other…awkward.

Wednesday January 9th: This morning we had a very early morning that started with a residential hall orientation meeting. Of course nothing that we hadn’t heard before just your typical quiet hours, no alcohol, etc. After this I think that we went to the beach? I’m not sure, but the first beach we went to was Broadbeach. Unfortunately it was extremely windy that day and we didn’t stay for long at all. Instead we walked around the city itself. We got our bus passes at the book store. It is like the only thing that is cheap around here. They give us very nice student discounts and you can get pretty much most places for like a 1.50 each way. At this point we have figured out the bus system quite well and it is pretty much the only way we can get anywhere. I think we had our first BBQ this day as well, which is not like the ones we have at home. They generally only consist of sausages with weird tomato sauce on a piece of bread…weird. That night we tried to go to the trivia night, but we arrived too late and it had already started and was packed. So we just had a bunch of friends get together and hang out in the common room.

Thursday January 10th: I don’t remember much of anything that happened that day. I think we went to the town centre because we decided to open bank accounts the day before. The local bank ANZ set up a deal with our school that we could start bank accounts and they wouldn’t charge us any fees at all. This way we had a debit card and could book larger trips. We had to go to the bank to finalize everything, show our passports, etc. Also at the mall, I went to the local Vodafone shop so I could try and get my phone working. They gave me a free SIM card that I could put directly into my iphone and I went home to start looking at their plans. I found out I couldn’t use an American credit card to buy credit, so I walked into town so that I could buy a Vodafone gift card to use for the month. Basically what you do is buy credit and when it is used up, then you can put more money on it or not. Before this point I could only use my phone when I had wifi, so it was like an ipod. Now my phone was like a real Australian phone with a different phone number. I think that day we tried going to the beach again, but this time we went to Burleigh beach which was so much nicer. It is calmer much more of a small town feel instead of the city. I learned many things that day including that you shouldn’t wear your sunglasses in the water because big waves come and you will lose them. I was very annoyed. That evening was the tight and bright party. This is pretty much exactly what it sounds like, everyone wears tight and bright clothes. We had a lot more fun at that party rather than the toga party, but again my sleepy self went to bed at the end of the party, instead of going into the city to a club for the after party.

Friday January 11th: I’m not sure what exactly happened this day either, but there was another BBQ which was pretty similar to the last one, except that they also had a breakfast BBQ which had eggs you could put with your sausage on your piece of bread haha. I believe that we went to the pool that day, which isn’t anything like Slane pool. It is basically a lap pool with huge concrete steps on one side and like 8 chairs on the other. The water was extremely nice and it was definitely worth it. That evening there was a movie night on the lawn, so Rachael and I stayed and watched the new Batman movie on the big screen outside.

Saturday January 12th: This day the school held a trip to Broadbeach again, but this time it was so much nicer than the first time we went. That was when it felt like we were in the middle of the desert during a sandstorm.

Sunday January 13th: On Sunday we had a lot of fun. Some of our Australian friends decided to take us to the local national park called Springbrook. The section we went to was called the Mount Cougal section. It was quite a drive to get there because we got lost for a little while, but it was definitely worth it. We got to see a lot of the country side and the beautiful mountains and rainforests of Queensland. Once we got there, we were able to swim in the rock pools and jump off the cliffs into the pools. It was one of the scariest things I have ever done, but totally worth it. Ya know jumping off 25 foot high cliffs into rocky water…no problem haha! That evening I chilled out in my room and finally unpacked. I had to because the cleaning ladies come on Monday’s and my room was still absolutely trashed. It is so nice for them to come because they vacuum, take out the trash, and change your sheets each week. So helpful!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s